back to book
- al-Bukhari, Bad `al-khalq 8, Kusuf 9, Riqaq
15,16; Muslim, Kusuf 17, Dsikr 94; al-Tirmidsi, Jahannam
11; al-Nasa'i, Kusuf 17; Muwatta', Kusuf 12. Scholars are in
disagreement about the time and the way Muhammad looked about in paradise and
hell. Al-Hafiz claimed that this happened during the ascension of the prophet
into heaven: "He saw that on the night of Isra' [night journey], or when
the sun eclipsed" (Tuhfat al-Ahwadsi, 7:1969; al-Qastalani, 1:329).
- Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, 2:507.
- Kanz al-`ummal, 22:10.
- Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, 2:67.
- al-Bukhari, Haidh 6, Zakat 44; Muslim, Iman 132,
`Iydain 4,19; Ibn Maja, Fitan 19; al-Darimi, Wudhu' 104,
Salat 224; Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, 1:307,423,425,436; 3:318.
- Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, 4:197,205.
- Kanz al-`ummal, 22:11.
- Tuhfat al-Ahwadsi, 7:329.
- "Women are referred to by the attribute "black-eyed" (hur
al-`iyn) so as to compare them to the antelopes and cow. Kara` said, `hawar
means that the white of the eyes surrounds the pupil completely, which is found
in antelopes and cows, and is used as a figure of speech with humans. He is ahwar,
and she is hawra', and the plural is hur' (from Lisan
al-Arab, 4:28). They are the wives of the believers in paradise, as the
Qur'an bears out (Sura al-Nisa' 4:218). Abu Huraira narrated: "The first
band entering paradise will be like the full moon, and the ones that will follow
them will be like the best star in the heavens. Each man will have two wives of
the wide-eyed houris; the marrow of their bones can be seen through the flesh
and the bones" (al-Bukhari, Bad' al-khalq 8; al-Tirmidsi, Janna
- It is ironic that this hadith occurs in Zuhd ("Book of
Abstinence") 39 of Sunan Ibn Maja.
- al-Tirmidsi, Janna 6, "Such and such refers to the number
of women. The number of copulations was said to be twenty, thirty, or forty
times." (Tuhfat al-Ahwadsi, 7:241).
- al-Tirmidsi, Janna 21; Ibn Maja, Zuhd 39.
- Tuhfat al-Ahwadsi, 7:285-286.
- al-Suyuti, Fath al-kabir fi dsamm al-ziyada ila al-Jami` al-saghir
(Cairo, n.d.), 3:255.
- Kanz al-`ummal, 21:204.
- ibid. 21:205.
© Copyright by Light of Life · Villach · Austria
Write us: firstname.lastname@example.org